Saturday, January 19, 2008

Carrying a Gun can provide self-defense

I have personally carried a concealed firearm all my life and never had to use it, but it sure made me feel comfortable several times.

From Here:

I can't help but wonder why any time anyone mentions carrying a gun, it's automatically a bad idea. The conversation came up recently when I asked if a kidnapped person had been carrying a gun.

It is still one of our constitutional rights, you know. It has been since the beginning of this country. Why is it such an immoral question to ask if she was armed?

Even though there are now limits to places you can carry a gun, carrying one, and knowing how to use one, is never a bad idea. I'm sure criminals would find others a little more difficult to rob or rape if that someone were armed.

According to the National Rifle Association, the U.S. Department of Justice found that 40 percent of felons chose not to commit at least some crimes for fear their victims were armed, while 34 percent admitted having been scared off or shot at by armed victims. It's verifiable proof - you don't even have to shoot it to lower crime rates - just having one lessens your chances of being assaulted.

The NRA also reported that states with right-to-carry laws "have lower violent crime rates on average: 22 percent lower total violent crime, 30 percent lower murder, 46 percent lower robbery and 12 percent lower aggravated assault."

This is why I think carrying a gun is a good idea, and I'm not just talking about women - the reason the argument originally occurred.

I'm not suggesting we "posse up" and ride into the sunset after all of the criminals in Georgia. I'm not even saying that if someone sticks a gun in your car window at a stoplight and asks for your wallet, you shouldn't give it to them.

I would, however, be damn sure they didn't make it out of sight with my wallet.

Carrying a gun doesn't mean we should all "Wild, Wild West"-it and duel out all of our problems.

But, we've got just as much right to own and carry a firearm as we do to print this newspaper. So, if I or anyone else wants to own or carry a gun, then that's our right.

If someone dies of a bullet wound from my gun, it will only be because I felt my life threatened with no other option. I like living, and I'm not looking to try the alternative anytime soon.

In the end we'll all be judged the same, and I'm sure He'll understand why I pulled the trigger.

A wise man told me recently that he'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by six. This has been my philosophy for as long as I can remember, I'd just never heard it spoken so well.

No comments:

Alabama Mountain Mans Blog

This Blog has had -- Site Meter --visitors since April 14, 2007