Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A garden is a lot of work

I've been at it all morning sitting on the back porch shelling peas. I managed so far to shell about 3 bushel myself by hand. And with the other help we're down to about a bushel left to shell for today. That will give us about 6 bushels of peas for just today to get put up in the freezer. Then we have to get the 2 bushel of string after that. Right now, the other half is canning about 3 to 4 bushel of tomatoes. That's a lot of produce to do in one day, but when it comes in from the garden, it has to be done. We'll put the shelled peas in the fridge until tomorrow and will blanch them and then put in freezer bags. And the same with the string beans, but all that stuff will sure taste good in the winter especially with a good pone of cornbread to go with it. I can make a meal off a bowl of the peas and cornbread and a couple of glasses of iced tea. Well, got to go now and get back to work as I had to take myself a small break and let my thumbs have one too. And, I almost forgot all that okra that I picked and it's sitting in the fridge waiting to be bagged up for the freezer. And I still have to head back to the garden and pick the okra again today or it will stop growing and I'm not ready for that yet.

Ya'll have a good day!
Almtnman

No comments:

Alabama Mountain Mans Blog

This Blog has had -- Site Meter --visitors since April 14, 2007